Thursday, August 9, 2012

how to: DIY coasters

We haven't really had a need for coasters because our table was glass but now that we moved, everything we have is wood. I love Pinterest. Unfortunately I didn't get to use it for my wedding but it's been good to me since we've moved to a new home. :)
My latest project was making my own coasters. I learned how to do it here. It needs a few supplies, but nothing is very expensive.

- 4.25" x 4.25" tiles
- 4" x 4" pieces of scrapbook paper (or pictures or whatever you want to use)
- Mod Podge (you can learn how to make your own for MUCH cheaper here)
- Sponge paint brush
- Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel
- 3/8" felt pads

Clean your tiles and give them a coat of Mod Podge
Put your paper centered on each tile and smooth out all the bubbles. Wait 15 minutes and apply another coat. Repeat two more times.
Wait 1 hour after your 3rd coat of Mod Podge and take your tiles somewhere well ventilated (outside). Spray on 2 coats of the Rustoleum Enamel (within a few minutes of each other). Try to spray in a steady, back-and-forth motion, overlapping each coat. Unfortunately for me, the spray won't dry well if it's used when it's above 90 degrees outside. It wasn't until after 9pm that it dropped below 90. Oh Tucson..

Wait 30 minutes for it to completely dry and add the felt pads. Ta da! All done :)

2 comments: