Monday, February 20, 2012

how to: make chocolate chip cookies

In addition to the BBQ chicken sandwiches I made Spencer one of his favorite desserts, chocolate chip cookies. In the Spirit of Valentine's Day I thought that I would die them pink.

Note, the ones I made I messed up and they turned out to be more marbley looking so I'm just not even going to add how to dye the cookies because I don't know! Ha. Unfortunately they were all eaten before I could take a picture so I stole this one from Google.

2 1/8 cup bleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
12 Tbsp unsalted butter (I used salted and it worked fine)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla
12 oz package of semisweet chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate ones because they're more sweet - obviously)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle rack positions. Mix flour, salt and baking soda together in a medium bowl and set aside.
Mix butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Mix in egg, yolk and vanilla. Add dry ingredients; mix until just combined. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Stir in chocolate chips.
Roll into balls and place on cookie sheets.
*Dough can be refrigerated up to 2 days or frozen up to one month.
Bake, reversing cookie sheets halfway through baking, until cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden but the centers and still soft and puffy, about 15-18 minutes. Frozen cookie dough requires an extra 1-2 minutes of cooking time.
Cool cookies on baking sheets and store in airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment